Have you ever felt neck pain, dizziness, nausea or shortness of breath? All of these are signs of cervical osteochondrosis.
Osteochondrosis, a common problem, worries more and more people every year. Can cervical osteochondrosis be cured? First, let's find out the factors of occurrence and the signs of occurrence.
Stages of osteochondrosis
Osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebrae is a disease whose effect weakens the discs between the vertebrae, leading to changes in the texture of the discs, vertebrae and neck joints themselves.
In the first stage, the symptoms are almost invisible, as the changes in the cartilaginous vertebrae have only just begun. The following symptoms are observed:
- Unpleasant sensations in the neck, arms, shoulders.
- Slight limitation of neck motor activity.
- Short-term visual impairment.
- Decreases the sensitive collar area.
During the second stage, a small spinal hernia may occur, the intervertebral cracks may narrow. Due to the compression of the nerve trunks, specific pain syndromes are felt during the execution of the movements.
Manifestations of the disease:
- The neck hurts and a crack is heard during curves.
- Loss of sensation in the skin on the arms and shoulders.
- The vision is decreasing.
- I hear a ringing in my ears.
- The face and neck are numb;
- The upper limbs are weakening.
- Strong pain radiating to the shoulder blade.
- Insomnia, sleep problems.
Stage three is difficult to deal with. A hernia forms, the spine is deformed, changes in position, dislocations of the vertebrae occur:
- Strong pain in the neck, heart muscle, collar area.
- The skin of the head, shoulders and arms is no longer felt.
- The upper limbs are paralyzed.
- The tendon reflexes are no longer visible.
- A herniation of the cervical vertebrae begins.
The fourth final stage during which symptoms worsen.
Factors that influence the onset and development of osteochondrosis of the cervical vertebra:
- Heavy weight.
- Seated work, lack of mobility.
- Anterior spinal injuries.
- Mental disorders, nervous tension, stress.
- Poor physical fitness.
- Spine curvature, scoliosis, incorrect posture.
- Incorrect body positions that have become a habit.
- Tension of the neck, back, through work.
- Hereditary predisposition.
- Unusual physical stress for the body, increased activity.
- Violation of the rules of a healthy diet.
The cervical ridge undergoes increased stress, which the neck muscles try to balance, due to the influence of the factors mentioned above. Muscle spasm sets in, the body's blood circulation is disturbed. Anatomical lesions appear.
Symptoms of the disease
The symptoms of osteochondrosis of the cervical spine are different from the symptoms of this disease seen in other parts of the spine. The location close to the neck vertebrae leads to compression of the nerve roots and spinal cord.
I have the following symptoms:
- Location of pain: in the neck, neck, shoulder, arms and legs. During the connection of the nerve roots to the process, discomfort is felt in the shoulders, in the neck, the restructuring of the upper limb begins. A spasm of the neck muscles at the back of the head leads to decreased blood flow.
- Weakness of the arms, which is caused by a root disorder, which includes the motor nerves that reorganize the arm muscles.
- There is a restructuring of the hands, due to decreased sensitivity in the hands, damage to the root, which includes the sensory nerves.
- During head movements, pain is felt and a crushing sound is heard. It is caused by the defeat of the small joints in the neck, a reduction in the level of the intervertebral disc.
- Lack of strength, tiredness, dizziness, lack of coordination. Due to the displacement of the vertebrae, the spinal artery is compressed. This leads to deterioration of blood flow, weakening the blood supply to the occipital lobe, the cerebellum.
- Complicated vision, the tongue loses sensation.
The symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis in women are similar to those in men. At the age of 46-60, the weaker sex turns to stone, tingling the hands during sleep.
Why osteochondrosis is dangerous
The disease damages the whole organism. The cervical region includes a significant number of arteries, nerve endings and blood vessels that feed the brain.
Strongly pressed, because of the minor pathology, they are compressed, leading to a deterioration of blood circulation in the brain, giving rise to migraines, disturbing the heart rhythm, difficulties in breathing, vision, coordination and attention.
Pathologies that cause osteochondrosis of the cervical spine:
- Brain disease;
- Vertebral artery syndrome;
- Spinal effusion.
Death is the worst consequence that occurs when the spinal cord is compressed.
When all symptoms of cervical osteochondrosis are considered and the factors of their development are identified, we will consider the treatment used in this case.
Treatment of cervical osteochondrosis in women is no different from treatment in men. Treatment stages:
- Pain relief.
- Removal of edema.
- Normalization of blood circulation.
- Strengthening of the back, abdominal, chest muscles.
- Better tissue repair and nutrition.
Any stage or symptom should seek medical attention. Specialists who select complex treatments: surgeon, neurologist, physiotherapist, massage therapist. Drug therapy, physiotherapy, massage of the collar region are used, therapeutic exercises are recommended, as it is effective in osteochondrosis.
Medicines used for treatment:
- Medicines that relieve muscle spasms.
- Vitamins that improve the metabolism of the nervous system.
- NSAID medications that reduce pain, relieve inflammation and swelling.
- Joint preparations, restoration of cartilaginous tissue, lesions in the intervertebral discs.
- Drugs that improve the nutrition of damaged nerve cells regulate blood flow to the brain.
First aid for exacerbations
There are times when the pain becomes unbearable and the consultation with the doctor has to be postponed. It is recommended to take painkillers. To relieve the pain, you can apply a "pepper patch", but it is important to note that you cannot expect a long-term effect. The plaster warms the inflamed area and temporarily relieves pain. To relieve swelling, it is recommended to use herbal infusions for 3-4 days. Is it possible to cure cervical osteochondrosis with these methods? No, the above methods are short-term; for a full recovery, you need to see a doctor.
- Electrophoresis- the anesthetic ions penetrate the painful area due to the action of an electric current. Often done with painkillers.
- Lasertherapy- has anti-inflammatory properties, ensures improved blood circulation through exposure to light.
- Magnetic therapy- relieves tissue swelling, has analgesic effect.
- Ultrasound- metabolic processes are improved, pain relief and removal of inflammation from damaged areas.
When it comes to physical therapy, you need to know a few simple sets of exercises. Regular training will bring the expected results very quickly.
Attention!When you run the complex, you shouldn't experience pain, discomfort.
- Lie on your stomach, supporting your hands. Keep your back straight while lifting your head and body. Hold the position for about 2 minutes and then take the starting position. Continue the exercise 2-3 times.
- Lie on the floor, stretching your arms along your body, trying to put your ear to the floor, turning your head to the left. Do 6-7 repetitions.
- Inhale while sitting on the floor, lean forward, trying to touch your chest with your head. After exhaling, lean back, throw your head back. Do 10-15 repetitions.
- Pressing your forehead, lower yourself to your palms while sitting on the floor. Perform for about 30 seconds, 2-3 repetitions.
- Circular rotation of the head. Run gently, slowly, so that your head starts to spin. If dizziness appears, end the gym. Do 10 rotations in each direction.
This treatment method should only be used in conjunction with the complex prescribed by the doctor. In such variants, the following are used: traditional medicine, therapeutic exercises, massages.
Recipes to alleviate malaise at home:
- A horseradish sheet attached to the neck and secured with a bandage or cloth will help. It is recommended to wet with boiling water and then cool to room temperature. It is best to leave the dressing overnight.
- Cut the potatoes, mix with honey (one by one). Use once a week as a compress.
- Warming up will help relieve pain. You can apply a mustard plaster, a sandbag, pepper patches and so on.
We advise you not to seek help on forums, you must rely on diagnoses made by doctors.
Therapeutic massage can be performed at home, it includes elements of classical massage. It starts with a healthy part of the body, moving gently to a sore spot. The complex is selected by the individual characteristics of the patient, the stage of the disease. To perform the massage, the patient must be positioned horizontally on the floor, lowering the forehead to the hands, pulling the chin towards the chest. Relax your neck muscles.
Treatment massage techniques:
- Start massaging with movements, starting at the collar area.
- Push-ups, for execution, the masseuse puts his hand on his neck and moves along the spine. Alternatively, this technique can be performed towards the shoulder.
- Friction is performed to warm up the neck muscles, while the body relaxes, bleeding improves. Starting from the skull, the movements are directed, the movements are oriented towards the spine.
- The neck should be kneaded in a circular motion.
- It is necessary to finish with vibration, performed by hitting and shaking.
The following rules must be followed to prevent the disease:
- Do sports (swimming is the most effective).
- Increase the consumption of foods containing calcium and magnesium.
- Warm up several times a day, especially if you have a sedentary job.
- Choose the right pillow (it should be low) and the mattress (it should not be soft). Monitor the neck position during sleep: the neck angle should be at least 15 degrees.
- Take a hot shower for at least 10 minutes a day.
- For those who don't like sports, experts advise regular yoga practice.
- It is better to give up on the gym. Weight training can worsen health conditions.
Osteochondrosis and pregnancy
How to treat osteochondrosis during childbirth? Of course, you need to limit yourself to drug use. Ointments with a natural composition and popular methods help.Remember!During pregnancy, all possible effects on the neck area (eg, heating) are prohibited.
Does osteochondrosis occur in young people? As much as adults are convinced that it is too early for adolescents to acquire these diseases, they are increasingly observed. It can develop as a result of congenital or acquired cartilage failure.
During an exacerbation of the disease, it is forbidden to warm the neck, as it can cause an increase in swelling.
This article considered not only the basic concepts, but also effective methods of treating cervical osteochondrosis. They will help you to deal with painful sensations, to feel comfortable and confident, wherever you are.